What is Catholicism 101?
Catholicism 101 is a three-week introduction to the Catholic Faith.
Who should come to Catholicism 101?
Catholicism 101 is open to anyone who wishes to come. It is intended especially for three groups of people:
- those who have little previous experience of Christianity and/or the Catholic Church, and who would like to know more about what Catholics believe and what happens at the Mass;
- parents with a child to be baptized, who would benefit from a better understanding of the Faith so that they can help form their child in that faith
- couples preparing to be married in the Church, who want to know what the Faith says about the mystery of life and the place of the Sacrament of Matrimony in that mystery.
Catholics who simply feel that they would like to understand the basics of their faith better can also benefit from the series.
When and where does Catholicism 101 meet?
Catholicism 101 meets on Tuesday evenings, every other month, at St. Patrick Church (404 E. Main Street).
What is the schedule for the evening?
- 6:30 - 6:35: Opening, introductions, announcements
- 6:35 - 7:30: Catholicism 101 (Session I, II or III)
- 7:30 - 8:00: Question and Answer Time
What is the content of the three sessions of Catholicism 101?
- Session I – The story of the human race as understood in the Christian Faith; the story of salvation as God first reveals Himself to the children of Israel and then sends His Son into the world; the meaning of the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ;
- Session II – The Catholic Church: how did it start? what claims does it make for itself? how does it justify those claims? what is its mission?. And the Sacraments: what are they? why are they important in the Christian life?
- Session III – On the third week, there are three different sections, tailored to the three groups mentioned above:
- IIIA – What do Catholics believe about the Mass? How is the Mass organized? How can I participate appropriately and more knowledgeably? (for those with little experience of Catholic faith and practice)
- IIIB – The Sacrament of Baptism: what do we believe about the Sacrament? what happens in the ritual of Baptism? what is the significance of the various symbols? (for parents with a child to be baptized)
- IIIC – The Sacrament of Matrimony: what do we believe about the Sacrament? how can we invite the Lord to our wedding? how can we invite the Lord into our marriage? (for couples preparing for marriage)
When does the next Catholicism 101 begin?
The dates for Session I are as follows:
- Tuesday, April 23, 2013
- Tuesday, July 16, 2013
In each case, Session II and III follow on the next two Tuesday evenings.
What should I do if I want to attend Catholicism 101?
No pre-registration is necessary for Session I. You may simply come to St. Patrick Church on the day and time indicated, and follow the signs. If you would like to speak to someone first, please contact Marc Laudonio (Director of Evangelization and Catechesis) at email@example.com or (608) 257-5000.
And, by the way, what was that “Main Event” that was mentioned in the schedule?
The Main Event is a more in-depth study of the 'Big Picture' of the Catholic Faith, intended for those who want to enter the Catholic Church, adult Catholics preparing for the Sacrament of Confirmation, and anyone interested in a thorough presentation of the Catholic Faith.